Curaçao was an early addition to my list. I don’t know why, I don’t ever remember anyone talking about it, magazine generally don’t rave about the island. I guess I added visiting it just out of curiosity. To be completely honest, I didn’t even know where in the Caribbean it was. It just sounded so foreign and like a place I would never visit, same as Iceland. But, we all know now how I deal with places I never imagine I would travel to… I travel to them.
Curaçao, took all of about 10 minutes to grow on me. Just about as soon as we pulled away from Hato International Airport, did I come to really like this place. From that moment on the rest of the trip was just a confirmation of my good feelings towards the island.
I present to you now, what I had learned during my time in Curaçao…
- To make the Ç hold down option(mac) or alt (pc) while typing C.
- The Ç is called a cedilla (Wikipedia article on it)
- For all intents and purposes, Curaçao is a Spanish-speaking country
- You can get stranded on a bridge
- Scuba Diving Magazine loves Curaçao cause the reefs are flawless
- 8 oz Polar beer is a rip-off (Thanks for nothing Hugo Chavez)
- Infinity Salt water pool = Awesome!
- Danki means thank you in Papiamento (Pronounced = Donkey)
- You can get a job as a Bridge Boat Driver
- I love Arepitas
- Iguanas are to Curaçao what squirrels are to North America
- When jumping off a 40 ft cliff always try to land feet first ( Kit’s lesson)
- 15% Service charge on restaurants tabs, means at some places you will have to double tip
- Casinos are very depressing when there are no loud sounds of machines winning
Some other photos from the trip